Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Er...Black Unicorns?

Okay. First of all, I want to make it clear that I do not normally dream about unicorns.

In fact, I havne't had a unicorn dream since I was twelve, I believe. (Actually, I have no idea how long it's been.)

But this morning I did. And it was weird.

Here's the description of it I just wrote down. (Sorry that it's in 2nd person, but what can you do?)

(By the way, I refer to people in the dream as 'characters' simply because it's so story-like. When I'm a disembodied non-participatory presence, I'm just an 'observer.')

Characters in the dream spend the entire first part preparing for battle. Finally the call comes to battle & then you swerve through this building (you’re not a character, just an observer at this point). You see this way crazy funky queen who apparently is a cannibal (she talks about loving the taste of her descendants). She’s really creepy and quite patently evil.

Then, people start coming after her, so she runs away. In her castle are all of these habitats inside of bubbles & filled with water. Each habitat is from a different world and it contains everything the creatures within need in order to survive. She keeps diving into these bubbles to escape her pursuers and she kind of drags the bubbles along with her, creating these super-bubbles around her.

Cut to someone saying that it’s impossible to raise a young alicorn (unicorn). Then this deep, dark voice starts speaking:

“Normally it’s quite impossible. However, they captured me and dyed me black.” Then it starts explaining how it had been tortured and now, twisted and dark, it seeks revenge upon those who harmed it. It makes it clear that all of the battles that had been going on earlier in the dream had been caused by this alicorn putting thoughts into people’s heads. (Alicorn has a gender? If it does, it’s male. But somehow I get the impression that they’re genderless.)

You come across the alicorn as an observer and then someone else, a woman comes across it. She’s pure and lovely, but weak, and you feel a surge of fear that the alicorn will injure her. (The alicorn is lying on its side, legs tucked beneath it. It’s stiff and corpse-like, but the legs can still kick. It’s covered in armor or something metal and the horn is straight for a moment, but then curves slightly down & then up like a scimitar. Beautiful animal, but it too has become wicked and cruel.)

Then, this girl just touches the alicorn’s left hind hoof, and through that touch, the alicorn can feel that this woman is pure and gentle. It allows her to touch it and then the next thing you see, she’s riding the alicorn through a doorway that leads to an entirely different place (different world, perhaps). Not sure where they’re going.

Suddenly, you’re a character again, and other characters from the dream are parting through different doorways. You realize that soon all the doorways will close, and you won’t be able to see any of these people again. You hug them goodbye, explaining that your sister (the woman now with the alicorn) needs you, so you’re going to follow them.

And I woke up.

Crazy. Crazy, crazy. And interesting.

I actually didn't mention above one of the more interesting parts of the dream. At one point (amidst the battle preparations) I was a character & I was going around to different places trying to 'set' places I could teleport to. Apparently (in the dream) I had the ability to be in a certain place, think really hard of a number between 1 and 10, and then, later, if I had to disappear immediately, I could think that number & I would immediately be transported to the location I had 'set' for that number.

Man. I wish I could do that in real life.

Interpretation:

Um... The alicorn obviously represents my frustration with my hair, and the queen is indicitave of...er...toenail polish.

Seriously, folks. I have no idea on this one. I think it was just my brain giving me something entertaining this morning. Ohyeah. And also wacko.

2 comments:

Pat said...

If I may offer my interpretation of this...
(probably completely off base, but I am no psychologist - just old, but experience is supposed to be equal to education - right?)
...well, anyway, I think that this clearly addresses your anxieties about leaving home (hence the good-bye scene) and the people in the self contained bubbles represent all those aquaintences (holy cow - how do you spell that?) whose lives will go on in your absence. Your ability to transport yourself represents your wishful thinking that you will be able to go back & forth to see the people that you will miss.
...As for the flesh eating queen and the unicorn? I have no idea - are there things going on upstairs that I don't know about?
(or did you just have anchovies for lunch?)
...that will be $150. for this session please. LOL

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Wow. WOW. I'm just sitting back stunned at how well you nailed some of my anxieties based on this dream. I had no idea that's where some of this was coming from!

And the queen & unicorn? Yeah. I think I really am crazy.

(And...er...I'll get a check to you later for that $150. Yep.)